Named Zwartebergbad back then named after Swartberg the mountain overlooking the town.
In 1715 the ten hectare surrounding the springs was granted to Ferdinand Appel for the development of a health spa.
1811 Caledon received its first deputy landdrost and right after that in 1813 the name was change to Caledon in honor of the Earl of Caledon, governor of the Cape Colony. Having been a very poor grain producing area the Overberg, Caledon area turned and became on the most thriving farming districts.
The in the beginning of the 20th century the spa was developed into a three storey building and hotel. 1946 though this beautiful building burned down.
When visiting Caledon make sure to make a stop at Holy Anglican Church, build from sand stone. Caledon is also well known for its Wild Flower Garden that forms part of the entrance to the Venster Kloof so named because of the strange rock formation that looks like a window.
Just a little something about Caledon