Originally De Villiers Dorp as named by the French Huguenots’ descendants, named after Veldkornet P.H De Villiers who established the town in 1843. The French Huguenots settled in the area already in the 1680’s and 1690’s, though small in numbers they brought great skills with them including farming. They recognised the potential of the area and started a settlement
Today Villiersdorp is a flourishing apple farming area, but also produces pears, peaches, apricots, onions and grapes. The area plays an important role in South Africa’s fruit export industry. Another great skill the French Huguenot’s brought with them is the art of wine making. Villiersdorp offers wine tasting at a local farm stall Kelkiewyn at Villiersdorp Cellar. Villiersdorp Cellar is the oldest cellar in the Overberg established in 1922. The Kelkiewyn Farm stall was opened 70 years later in 1992 to serve as a tasting room and selling point for wine. Renovation has recently been made and a restaurant was added. The Restaurant is run by well-known Chef Neil Pyper.
Another popular attraction at Villiersdorp is the Theewaterskloof dam, South Africa’s 7th largest dam. The name comes from the farm on which the dam-wall was build. The dam opened in 1982 to serve as a backup water supply for Cape Town and surrounding areas. These days it’s a popular destination for family getaways, nature lovers and water sport enthusiasts. There are beautiful Caravan and tenting site right at water’s edge or nested under the trees. The dam is perfect for most water sports sailing, windsurfing, kite-surfing, water boarding, water skiing, yet skiing, power- boating and fresh water fishing. Some areas of the dam that expanse into the mountains are part of a game reserve with numerous of antelopes. Villersdorp also offers 4x4, mountain biking and hiking routes within the surrounding mountains.
So you can see why local’s calls this town the "Pearl of the Overberg" so come on make a weekend stop over.