Elim which means 'place of God', some might think it got this name for it's location in the heart of the heavenly Overberg but this town was named after the place were the Israelite's rested after they crossed the Red sea.
This little town is hidden half-way between Gansbaai and Bredasdorp on a dirt-road. The town was originally started as a mission station at the order of Bishop Peter Hallbeck of the Moravian Brotherhood, on the still existing farm
The towns thatched roofed and white washed historic buildings, attract both local and international clients to the town yearly. These buildings dates back to the 19th century.
The Church Square and Watermill has both been declared a national monuments. The towns church bell was acquired in 1914, but has been used since 1764 when it was already operating in a German Church in Hernhut.
The original School a dark-red plastered building has been converted into the towns Municipal Library. The town has a small Guesthouse in the Church Square perfect for visitors who really wants to take in the ambiance of the Town